As a dementia friendly company, Amano were delighted to support a local event today as part of Dementia Awareness Week. The ‘Hall of Friendship’ was organised by the Tavistock Dementia Action Alliance. The event included an exhibition of local organisations who are recognised as dementia friendly within the national scheme. Dementia Friends held open training sessions and the event closed with a celebration Cream Tea for those with dementia and their carers!
Some key lessons:
- Dementia is not a natural part of ageing
- Dementia is caused by diseases of the brain
- Dementia is not just about losing your memory – it can affect thinking, communicating and doing everyday tasks.
- It’ possible to live well with dementia
- There’s more to a person than the dementia
The ‘Hall of Friendship’ was part of a series of activities which took place throughout the week to help create a dementia friendly community. Other activities included dementia friendly walks and swimming sessions to encourage people to live well with dementia and a relaxed checkout at Tesco’s so people can take their time without feeling under pressure.
Join our email newsletter for exclusive deals and the latest telecare news from Amano Connect